Looking for galleries to see world-class turnings? Want to learn more about woodturning? Need to find supplies for your shop?
Click on one of the TITLE TABS to find sites, locations and excellent suppliers.
Here are some links to other clubs and woodworking sites to learn more about woodturning.
- American Association of Woodturners
This is the association which almost all woodturning clubs belong.
- Big Island Woodturners Club
The club on the east side of the island
- Hawaii Wood Guild
An organization for workworkers on the Island of Hawaii
- Sawmill Creek
A message board for all things woodworking
It’s all about woodturners
The Big Island is renowned for its artists across a wide range of mediums. Here are just a few local galleries where you’ll find some of our local turners artwork as well as many other forms of island art.
- The Harbor Gallery
Harbor Gallery represents over 150 Big Island Artists, including many of the members of this club at their gallery in Kawaihae, as well as Summer and Winter Wood Shows.
- Dunn Gallery of Wood Art
Wood art from renowned artists throughout the world
- Cliff Johns Gallery
Highlighting artists from all islands
- Isaacs Art Center
The Isaacs Art Center is located in Waimea (Kamuela).
Being on an island introduces unique challenges in acquiring the tools and supplies needed in creating turned art. Here’s a list of some of our favorite places to acquire supplies. Please contact the webmaster to add to this list. Please include the site’s URL and what supplies they offer.
Source for many turning and general shop supplies.
- Craft Supplies
Source all things turning. Offers flat rate shipping if you contact them directly when ordering.
- Hartville Tool
Source for turning supplies and a large assortment of tools and general shop supplies. West Hawaii Woodturner club members enjoy a significant club discount off Hartville list prices. Contact the club if you are unaware of this program.
- Penn State Industries
Excellent source for pen turning supplies, dust collection fixtures and project kits
- Starbond CA Glues
Gregg Smith’s source for a wide range of CA glues. Request a current price list from their website. Very prompt!
- DC’s da Cutting Edge – Shapening Servce on the Island!
Sharpens a wide variety of saw blades including Forrest and Frued. Right up in Kamuela and does drop off in Kona occasionally. Most recent brochure.
Woodburning suppliers and carving items. Both power and stationary.
Woodburning and carving supplies and components. Also a good source for information and general “how-to’s”. See Handouts” section for pen making instructions
- Sandpapers and burrs mentioned in Feb 2012 meeting
Vince’s wood and wonders “vinceswoodnwonders.com”
Turning Projects to Try
- Gregg Smith’s Segmented Turning Demo
- Erosion Vase (Neil Scobie)
- Making a Leaf Bowl (Neil Scobie)
- Offset Seed Pod (Neil Scobie)
- Offset Doughnut Sculpture demo notes (Neil Scobie)
- Drop Spindles (see October 2013 meeting notes)
- Kelly Dunn’s Translucent Bowl Process – parts list and schematics (see April 2013 meeting notes)
Tools to Make
- Shop Made Vacuum Chuck
- How to Make a Longworth Chuck by Larry Pope
- Effective Design – Handouts from Jim Christiansen and Gettir Van Ness (see April 2013 meeting notes)
- Photography Demonstration by Tom Russell (see August 2013 meeting notes)