West Hawaii Woodturners
Minutes of February meeting 2/11/2017
Meeting was called to order at 10:00 am by President Ralf Soderberg
Kelly Dunn reported the club has $1,576.80 in the treasury.
Challenge is “Ivory Palm Nut Turning”
This year’s meeting schedule:
- APRIL 8TH
- JUNE 10TH
- AUGUST 12TH
- OCTOBER 7TH
- DECEMBER 9TH
- Guest turner Dixie Briggs May 6th. $25.00 Demo fee
- Hawaii Wood Guild running until Feb. 24th
- Tue-Sat. 10am till 5pm Kamuela
- Annual Club dues $20.00 single member, $25.00 family
- Big Island Wood Turners Invitational Exhibit March 3rd-30th, Hilo
- Show and Tell:
- Robert Woodward showed his Spalted Pala Verde bowl
- Kelly Dunn Displayed his W.O.W. Christmas exchange pieces
- Ken Obenski talked about his battery problems with his power vent face shield
- Linda Peterson explained her painting process
- Jack Mise showed his shop made Golden Mean calipers and his latest carving and burning gadgets.
- Marvin Graham talked about his Avocado Hollow Form
- Jon Groelz brought in several pieces to show
- Allan Gildener talked about his D-WAY tools and his current bowl projects
- Tom Russell brought in UK. Turning magazines (free to good home)
Challenge : Inside Out Turning
Master: Al Kober
Advanced: Jack Mise
Intermediate: Robert Woodward
Gregg Smith walked us through the steps for segmented turnings.
With hand outs for layout and shape. Gegg brought sections of segmented rings to show his way of lay up and clamping.
1) Next meeting’s presenter will be everyone’s shop tips and tricks. Bring in something or things that you made in your shop that many of us might benefit from. Please email Jon Groelz at Westhawaiiwoodturners@gmail.com with a brief description of what you’d like to share for next meeting. If we don’t get anyone willing to share, we’ll tap another member to present.
Submitted by Marvin Graham (with addition of Discussion item by Jon Groelz)
Selecting a photo while in “thumbnail mode” starts a full screen slideshow.