West Hawaii Woodturners
Minutes of December meeting 12/10/2016
Meeting was called to order at 10:00 am by President Ralf Soderberg.
Guests: ALAN GILDENER
New Members: No new members this meeting
Treasurer’s Report: Kelly Dunn reported the club has $1,793.45 in the treasury.
Next meeting: Challenge is “INSIDE OUT TURNING”
- Guest turner Dixie Briggs in May
- Jon Groelz has stepped up to be the new Web Master. Thank you Tom Russell for the wonderful job you have done for the club.
Show and Tell:
- Kelly Dunn displayed and showed his “Inside Out Turnings”
- Jim Skibby showed his segmented Pen Holding Bowl then passed it around for everyone to take one of his premiere turned pens. Thank You Jim.
- Jon Groelz displayed his first turned bowls. The first of many to follow
- Tony Keeling showed off his turned and then band sawed fish
- Dick Roberts explained turning a natural edge Milo bowl
- Alan Gilder showed his Milo and Koa bowls
- Ken Obenski displayed his past and present platter
Challenge : Christmas Exchange
Master: Gregg Smith
Advanced: Kent Nakamaru
Intermediate: Alan Gildener
Critique of Challenge turnings by Kelly Dunn: Kelly Dunn critiqued Marvin Graham’s Norfork Pine Calabash
Kelly Dunn demonstrated the art of “Inside Out Turning”. Using multiple finished turnings and then turning a new project while the club watched. Stressing Safety concerns and proper alignment of the work pieces for a successful turning.
- Safety on turning thin pieces
- Using a gouge vs. a skew
- Ban on shipping Ohia (can still ship finished pieces)
- Possible guest turners for next year and the cost.
Submitted by Marvin Graham