West Hawaii Woodturners
Minutes of August meeting 08/27/2016
Meeting was called to order by President Ralf Soderbergh at 10:00 a.m.
Guests: Rob Forbes, Bassam Khalil & John Groelz. No new members
Treasurer’s Report: Kelly Dunn reported the club has $2,469.08 in Treasury.
Next meeting: Next meeting date 10/ 22/ 16 location T.B.D.
- Betty Scarpino, former editor of the AAW magazine will be giving a demonstration on Sept. 25 10am to 4 pm at a fee of $25.00 per person.
- Club President Ralf Soderbergh is working on maintaining our current location for club meetings or possibly finding a new location. Will keep membership posted.
- Gregg Smith handed out T- shirts to those who ordered them who were in attendance.
Show and Tell:
- Jack Mise explained differences of rotary carving tool motors and shafts.
- Tony Keeling showed us his band saw box he is gifting to his son.
- AJ Kober showed us his paint marbling technique on a lamp shade.
- Other pieces shown were a two piece bowl with textured band and a Norfolk pine lamp base with checking issues.
Challenge: Pay the rent “Turners Choice”
14 members submitted entries for this challenge and the winners were picked by our meeting site landlord / host Rich and Eileen Blake.
- Masters: Gregg Smith / Segmented Vessel
- Advanced: Ken Obenski / Platter, cups and candle stick
- Intermediate: Marvin Graham / Norfolk Pine Bowl
- E-mail and our Google web site
- Possible future meeting sites
Club Demo: Thank You Mark and Karen Stebbins for the demonstration on crack stabilization using Butterfly inlays and the history lesson on Butterfly / Bowtie repairs on Koa Calabashes.
Next Club Demo:
- Jim Keenon showing us polishing compounds.
- Jack Wise and rotary carving tools.
Next club challenge in Oct. will be crack repaired or patched project along with embellishments.
Submitted by Marvin Graham
Selecting a photo while in “thumbnail mode” starts a full screen slideshow.
No photos submitted for this month’s meeting