West Hawaii Woodturners
Minutes of October meeting 10/17/2015
Meeting was called to order at 10:00 am by President Ralf Soderberg.
Guests: No guests
New Members: Marvin Graham, Tom Hohl
Next meeting: December 12, 2015
Challenge: Gift exchange
Demo by Kelly Dunn – sanding and finishing
Dan Gerhart – micro finish
Jerry Kotz – Electro-magnetic pyrography (EMP)
Ralf brought some Chinese Banyan for members (bag it and let it dry for 3 months).
Kelly is ready to take the annual membership dues next meeting.
Gregg Smith and John Mydock are in Honolulu today invited by the Academy of Arts.
Pro demonstrations: Dixie Biggs, May 2017.
Treasurer’s Report: Kelly Dunn reported the club has $3798.64 in the treasury.
Show and Tell:
- Al Kober brought the jigs that he made for turning Chinese balls.
- Ken Obenski brought a broken tool rest retro-fitted for a unique winged tool rest.
- Ken also showed a rotisserie motor used for slow speed lacquer spraying.
- Dick Roberts brought in his wood bicycle, beautiful wood finished with wipe on poly.
- Steve Herbert showed his offset disk art and bottle stops, Sugi pine vase containing pithy center.
- Jim Skibby showed a myrtle fiddle back bowl finished with mineral oil and a bud vase with glass insert.
- Jerry Kotz explained his art that used high voltage to burn a lightning-like feature on a wood slab.
- Jerry will demonstrate his EMP method (electro-magnetic pyrography) next meeting.
Challenge : “offset turning”
- Ken Obenski – Offset base /koa/mango bowl
- Gary Beck – Avocado bowl with offset rings, ebonized top.
- Dick Roberts – Mango box with eccentric lid drilled for incense stem.
- Jeff Fear – Ohia lidded urn.
- Kelly Dunn – Tamarind lidded box
- Jim Skibby – Monkey pod lidded box with beading inside
- Tom O’Connor – Eccentric lidded box of walnut with clam shell carved top
- Jerry Kotz – Cherry goblet with eccentric stem, 4 settings on chuck
- Jeff Machit – Maple bowl with offset waves, pyrography flames using soldering iron
- Jim Keenan – Offset spindle turning “tall lady”
- Ralf Soderberg – Three offset bowls with pyrography designs in each
Ralf Soderberg – Intermediate
Gary Beck – Advanced
Tom O’Connor – Master
Demonstration of three-leg milking stool by Tom O’Connor:
Using maple blanks, Tom demonstrated the variety of jigs he made to turn the seat and to turn the offset legs. He explained the tools used and then demonstrated turning the offset legs for the stool. Good job, Tom.
Submitted by Kirby Fritchman